Instagram Weekend Challenge Reflection

Write it down. Take a picture. Cross it off. Post it. 
I can see how something like this would be very engaging for a student like me. I am Type A and OCD and a bit competitive so for me any sort of challenge, especially with a list and structure, is going to get my blood pumping. 
I've been doing both challenges. The social media tools one, I've gotten almost all of them done at this point and I have come to the conclusion that the few friends and family that previously followed me on Instagram will probably stop after this :) 
For the Long Hot weekend challenge, I have been collecting pictures and will be sharing those today in smaller collections. Those have been fun and I have had my children and family help me with those. 
While I am still trying to wrap my head around how I can work using Instagram in the classroom (as I believe my high school students would not want me to mix their world with mine), I might be able to use this as a means to have a cheer page or teacher page in general. I would need to check on privacy concerns since we are a private school though. 
Through the vamped up use of Instagram this weekend , I have been using the tags and locations. 
Instagram, unlike Facebook, has the ability to share to Twitter and Facebook at the time you make the post. This way you are only making the post once. Often times though, I don't share to all three. I guess the reason is what we learned about this week- Content Collapse. My audiences are different in each tool. 
I have also used the search feature in Instagram. I have found that it is hard to know who you are following and who follows you sometime which makes making connections difficult. If a handle name is different than a real name and the real name is not listed on the profile, then it is difficult to know who is asking to follow you. This is similar with Twitter (and Snapchat). Other than this, the tool is fairly simply to use. 

Comments

  1. I agree students may not want to experience content collapse, but I think creating class-specific groups on Google Hangouts, or hashtags for posting comments and collaborating, as well as blogs, could enlighten their awareness of social media use in education, help motivate them and engage the in self-regulating their studies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a hard time envisioning a helpful use for Instagram in formal education. Especially with K-12, I would be very hesitant to use any publicly accessible platform. Some students might come from very privacy-conscious families.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Talking?? Could you DO it?

Working from home SUCKS!

Web 2.0...What is it?