Twitter and Ed Chats...

At the beginning of this semester, I was tasked with an assignment in my other class that frightened me a bit: a Twitter ed Chat. First , I was new to Twitter and wasn't a big fan of it to begin with. I had no idea what a Twitter chat was and was afraid of the unknown. So like anyone, I put off the assignment until I couldn't anymore. 
This past week, I realized I needed to face my fear and get this done. The assignment was due soon. I had actually attempted to do this assignment for a few weeks, however every chat I attempted to do seemed to be on a hiatus for the summer. This didn't help my fears and anxiety. I was also trying to schedule doing this chat around my children's bedtime and my husband being on shift. This limited my time frame. I found a feature on Twitter, where I could be notified of each day's chats three times a day. This way I could see what was on the agenda for the day and plan. It also included #hashtags and handles to each chat to help me see if that particular chat would be of use to me and my subject area. 
I eventually found a chat that worked for me. 
I found a chat called #EducationNeverDies that takes place on Wednesday nights at 9:30pm (Eastern). Right now they are doing a Summer Shorts Series. It was a nice short chat that had some great resources. 
I actually think I might do this one again. My fear and anxiety are gone and I actually enjoyed my first Twitter chat. 
I have begun to see value in Twitter. While I still see a lot of drama and BS on Twitter and I still believe that there are celeb stalkers and political crap on there, I can see now that there are some great things there too. Just like other social media platforms, I have to filter what I see. 
For me, Twitter has become and educational resource. I have found PD opportunities, mostly informally, and networking opportunities. I have connected to other educators, organizations, and platforms within my field of expertise. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Talking?? Could you DO it?

Working from home SUCKS!

Web 2.0...What is it?